Pro Business Climate
- One of the first communities in the State of Maine to be certified as a Business-Friendly Community.
- City Councilors and a City Manager who understand that meeting the needs of our local businesses is a top priority and critical to the success of our City.
- Diversified portfolio of businesses and balanced economy
- Skilled workforce
Stable Tax Base
- A stable tax base that has held or lowered its mill rate for nine of the last ten years
- More than 22% drop in property tax rate over the last decade
- The City’s bond rating was increased in May 2012 to Aa3. According to Moody’s, “obligations rated Aa are judged to be of high quality and are subject to very low credit risk.”
Streamlined Planning and Permitting Processes
- All City departments work together to help new or existing business in every way possible, recognizing the value of what each business brings to the City of Brewer.
- Site plan pre-approval review and recommendation process prior to planning board approval (as applicable).
- Personalized attention and customized approach to every business venture.
- Public safety departments
- Police: The Police Department consists of twenty-two sworn officers that provide safety and security to the residents of, and the visitors to, the City of Brewer. Two patrol officers are assigned to the SRO position (School Resource Officer) and spend their days at the Brewer schools, working closely with students, teachers, and administrators to ensure the safety of the students. The centrally located new public safety facility on Parkway South enables them to respond within minutes to any part of the City.
- Fire and Emergency Medical Services (EMS): Brewer employs a full-time Public Safety Director and Deptuy Chief along with 4 full-time Officers (2 Lieutenants & 2 Captains). We also have 13 full-time firefighters, 1 part-time Captain and 3 part-time firefighters. The centrally located new public safety facility on Parkway South enables them to respond within minutes to any part of the City. The department provides ambulance services, water and ice rescue services and hazardous materials response in addition to fire suppression. The fire department also provides mutual aid to all of the surrounding communities.
- Brewer Community School – Newly constructed $40 million dollar K-8 school, the largest of its kind in the state of Maine. The 156,000-square-foot facility was designed to LEED standards to maximize energy efficiency technologies, and all heating and lighting controls are computer automated to allow for maximum energy savings.
- Brewer Performing Arts Center – as part of the new Brewer Community School, a new 400 seat performing arts center, was finished in 2011, with a state-of-the-art lighting system that provides dramatic color rendition for its theatrical productions.
Access to Higher Education
Within 15 minutes of Brewer, there are eight institutions of higher learning:
- University of Maine at Orono
- University of Maine at Augusta, Bangor Campus
- Husson University
- New England School of Communication
- Eastern Maine Community College
- Beal College
- Bangor Theological Seminary
- Grace Evangelical College & Seminary
Brewer is conveniently located just across the river from Bangor, and is part of the Bangor Metropolitan Statistical Area.
- Bangor International Airport (BGR) – offers over 50 flights a day to and from major Northeast cities, national and regional hubs.
- Interstates 95 and 395 – convenient access to the I-95 corridor (north and south); I-395 (east and west), Route 1 (Coastal route all points north and south) and State Route 9 (90 miles from New Brunswick, Canadian border).
- Rail access – the rail runs through Brewer and the junction of two rail systems that service the northern and central part of the state are right across the river.
- Port access – Port of Seasport (30 miles from Brewer) offers two terminals that handle refined petroleum cargo, cargo, dry bulk cargo, break-bulk cargo and containerized products. The Port of Eastport (120 miles) offers one cargo terminal handling dry bulk and break-bulk products.
- Electricity – Brewer’s electric utility is serviced by Emera Maine. Maine has the lowest electricity costs in New England.
- Petroleum & Natural Gas – Brewer has access to myriad providers including Bangor Natural Gas, Irving Oil, Webber Energy and Dead River.
- Telecommunications – Geographically, Brewer is located right next to Bangor, one of two major communication hubs in Maine; Bangor is a connecting point for much of Maine’s fiber optic lines. Most of Brewer has access to this high speed transmission. Telephone and internet providers include Fair Point Communications and Time Warner Cable.
- The wireless providers available in Brewer are AT&T, Verizon Wireless, and T-Mobile and US Cellular.
- Water – The Brewer Water Department services the water needs of the City of Brewer. Brewer received a 2011 Certificate of Excellence for Community Water Fluoridation, which is given to municipalities for consistently maintaining fluoride levels between 0.7-1.4 ppm.
- Maine ranked 12th among all fifty states in the fairness of its litigation environment in the U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s 2012 State Liability Systems Ranking Study.
- Maine has the lowest electricity costs in New England.
- S&P bond rating from A (upper medium grade) to AA- (high grade) in April 2010.
- Moody’s bond rating increased from A2 (upper medium grade) to Aa3 (high grade) in May 2012.
- Winners of the U.S. EPA’s coveted Phoenix Award in 2009, which honors the accomplishments of those who solve critical environmental challenges, transforming blighted and contaminated sites (the former Eastern Fine Paper Co. mill) in to productive new uses.