Getting a Brewer Public Library card is free to all Brewer residents, Brewer business owners, Brewer school students and senior citizens that live within 25 miles of Brewer.
To get a library card:
- Visit the circulation desk.
- Bring a photo ID with your current address OR a photo ID along with proof of address
- Tell us you would like a library card. It really is that easy!
If you do not live in Brewer but would like to use our library to check out materials, you can also get a library card for the minimal fee of $25.00 per family for one year. To apply for a library card, follow the steps listed above.
All new patrons will be issued a probationary card. These cards are limited to three (3) items checked out at any given time. After a three-month period without fines or other offenses, all restrictions on the card will be removed. We cannot process interlibrary loans for probationary patrons.
You must present your library card at the circulation desk to borrow materials.
- Library books and audio materials may be checked out for three (3) weeks.
- DVD’s and magazines may be checked out for one (1) week.
- Items can be renewed once provided there are no holds on the items.
- There is no limit on the number of books a patron may borrow at one time (after the three-month probationary period).
- There is a six (6) item limit on audio visual materials per family.
- There is a three (3) item limit on new items.
- Overdue fees are $.10 per day per book, audio or magazine.
- Overdue fees are $.50 per day per DVD.
- If you renew an item which is already overdue, a late fine may still be assessed to you.
- If you accumulate $10.00 in fines and fees on your card, or items are overdue, your library privileges will be revoked until you bring your account back to current.
Renewing your materials:
Patrons are welcome to renew their items as long as no other patron has requested them. Items may be renewed in a number of ways.
1. In person, at the circulation desk.
2. Online, through the catalog. Log in by using your barcode number (on your library card) as the username and your last name for the password.
3. By phone, call 207.989.7943, 24 hours a day.
From the online catalog, you may also access your library record to place holds and view your library history. As with renewals, use your barcode number (on your library card) as the username and your last name for the password.
If the Brewer Public Library does not have a specific item you need, let us know, and we will request it through an interlibrary loan. Library staff will notify you by phone or e-mail when the item is available.